Igfxem module has a relationship with the Common User Interface of Intel. In fact, it is a genuine software component that comes with the operating system itself. Therefore, you don’t have to consider it has a threat or an issue. However, the igfxem module can take high CPU resources at some point and become problematic. The purpose of this article is to explain about igfxem and fixes to try when Igfxem Module High CPU usage.
An introduction to igfxem module
Igfxem module directly relates to the Intel Graphics Suit of your computer. The users often call it as the Graphics Executable Main Module of the computer. Igfxem.exe is used very frequently by the drivers of Nvidia and AMD Graphic cards. The main job of this executable file is to make the display resolution available for the users. Also, it allows those settings to be saved even if the display monitor is turned off. Thanks to this module, the system can remember the display resolution settings, even if the monitor is disconnected.
It is true that most computer users don’t consider this process as a very important one. However, most of the laptops and notebooks available today rely on igfxem. That is exactly why this igfxem module process is scheduled to run at the startup.
PS: click here for the overviews of atiedxx.exe.
Is there a security threat associated with the igfxem module?
Most malware programs are designed to disguise as legitimate software components in the OS. However, we didn’t come across a situation in which a malware application had disguised to be the igfxem module. Most of the malware applications want to target executable files that have enhanced privileges. Thereby, they expect to bypass the potential security measures used in the operating system already. It can be said that igfxem has relatively fewer privileges compared to many other executables in your system. So, we assume that the igfxem module has become a less-favorite task of malware developers. But, once again, that doesn’t mean that malware developers will never target igfxem.exe. So, it is better to be safer than sorry. Therefore, it is important to learn how to tell apart a genuine igfxem module from malware in disguise.
One of the most common ways to find out the truth behind the process is finding its location. That means you can tell apart malware from a legitimate program by determining its location. To find it out, you should launch Task Manager first. You can do it by pressing “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Esc” simultaneously. Once the Task Manager is opened, you can click on the tab labeled “Processes.” Then, navigate to the process named igfxem.exe. After that, you can right-click on the service and click on the option called “Open File Location.”
If everything related to igfxem.exe is completely normal, it should be located at “C:\ Windows \ System32 \ igfxem.exe“. Do you see a different file path? If so, the chances are that it could be malware in disguise, so you should immediately take action. That means you should immediately scan your computer using a reliable, powerful antimalware application. There are plenty of antimalware tools in the market. But you must be smart enough to pick a good application after reading the user reviews and ratings. Also, the antimalware application you intend to use must be updated to its latest version. Otherwise, it will not be able to detect the latest threats.
Besides, let’s figure out how to fix Unmountable Boot Volume issue easily.
Is it necessary to disable igfxem.exe?
If you have enough evidence to say that you are dealing with a legitimate igfxem module, what’s next? Should you disable or leave it alone? Well, the answer to this question may depend on the type of computer you are using. For instance, if you are using a laptop or a notebook, they may rely on the igfxem module. However, it doesn’t affect the functionality of your desktop computer at all. So, if you are using a desktop computer, you can remove or disable this process without any issue.
If you have an issue with igfxem.exe, there are some ways to get it fixed. These fixes will tell you how to disable the igfxem.exe temporarily or permanently. Continue to read this article and learn how to fix it.
How to disable the igfxem.exe temporarily or permanently
Method 1: Stop igfxem.exe from Task Manager
If the igfxem module is taking high CPU and make your PC run slower, here’s the first fix. In fact, this can be the most basic fix you can try, but it works for many users. In this case, all you have to do is to stop the igfxem module using Task Manager.
- Launch Task Manager by using “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Esc” keys.
- Go to “Processes” and click on igfxem.exe.
- Press the button labeled “End Task.”
Although this will stop igfxem.exe from functioning, the process will be restarted on the next reboot.
By the way, if you wonder what is Shell Infrastructure Host, click to read more.
Method 2: Stop the other unimportant processes
Sometimes, other unimportant processes on your PC can affect its performance. So, it is best to stop those processes and see if the PC works fine. Just go to Task Manager and stop the processes that are not important for you anymore.
Method 3: Disable igfxem module using MSConfig
This is another way of disabling igfxem.exe from your computer. In this case, you will be using another utility called “MSConfig.” Once you disable the process using MSConfig, it will not start back even if you restart the computer. To get it started due to any reason, you will have to do it through MSConfig once again.
Please follow below guide in order to get it done.
- Hit “Windows” and “R” key simultaneously. Once the “Run” utility comes up, enter the text “MSConfig” and hit “Enter.” This will open a separate window labeled “System Configuration.”
- Now, in the newly opened window, find the tab called “Services” and click on it. Then, go to the igfxem module.
- There’s a small check-box next to this option. Just uncheck it and hit “Apply.”
- Restart the computer so it will boot without the igfxem module.
Method 4: Perform a malware and virus scan
You can use this method if you suspect that a malware-related issue causes the issue. In fact, this is a common method that is used whenever you suspect a malware infection on your computer. Performing a full malware and virus scan on the computer using a powerful third-party application would be this solution. It is always better to update the existing antivirus or the antimalware program before the scan. As a result, it can identify the most recent threats and eliminate them. If you don’t have an antivirus or antimalware tool, you can rely on Windows Defender as well.
- First, you should use “Windows” and “I” keys to open the “Settings” of your Windows 10 OS.
- Now, you should go to the option called “Update & Security” and then go to “Windows Security.” You can find the option called “Virus & Threat Protection” under that.
- When you are directed to a new window, click on the option called “Run a new advanced scan.”
- Go for the “Full Scan” option and click on the “Scan Now” option as well.
- The system will take some time for the scan to be completed, so you should wait patiently. Once the scan is completed, you should restart the PC and see if everything is fine.
Method 5: Update your graphics card driver
If you are yet to succeed, you can try to fix it by updating the Intel Graphics card driver. After all, it is a good practice to have your drivers updated to the latest version.
- First, launch a website of your preference and go to Intel’s Download Center. Then, you should download the most recent driver. Be sure to save it in a location you remember. If the file is zipped, just unzip it to see the file.
- After that, launch your computer’s Device Manager and navigate to its Display Adapters.
- You can right-click on the available Intel graphics. Choose the option called “Update Driver.”
- When you see the popup window, go to the option called “Browse My Computer.” Then, browse for the location where you have saved the downloaded (and unzipped) driver file.
- Click on the option called “OK” and hit “Next” so the driver will be installed.
That’s it. Restart the computer, and the igfxem module high CPU issue should be gone by now.