Facetime has become an immensely popular option when it comes to communicating. This feature solely depends on the built-in camera of the MacBook.
So, it is no brainer that Facetime doesn’t work if the MacBook camera not working. If you experience the Mac camera not working issue and looking for a resolution, here’s what you should do.
Some mac users learn that their MacBook camera not working when the “there is no connected camera” message is displayed. One of the most common ways to resolve this issue is to restart the computer.
However, restarting the computer might only fix some minor issues related to your mac. So, you should try to fix the MacBook camera not working by restarting the mac.
However, if it doesn’t work, you should read this article and learn how to rectify the issues with the professional Mac Task Manager.
Basic Fixes to Try if the MacBook Camera Not Working
Before moving into advanced, software-based solutions, we recommend you try the basic fixes available in macOS for MacBook camera not working issues.
From this point onwards, let’s see the basic solutions you can try if your MacBook camera not working.
Switch to it if your Mac Running Slow.
1. Check for the Camera’s Functionality
In most cases, the Facetime camera will not turn on in your MacBook due to minor bugs in the camera. To overcome such issues, you should check the below-mentioned items and troubleshoot.
Use another application that utilizes the built-in camera of the Mac. For instance, you can use an application like iChat or PhotoBooth. This method can verify if the respective issue is specific to the app.
Try using the built-in camera in another account and check if the issue is specific to the account.
Check for the System Profiler (located in Applications > Utilities). Check if the iSight is detected in the USB header option.
And then, check if the FireWire cable works on your computer. To do this, you should unplug the FireWire cable and plug it in again.
2. Force Quit the App to Fix MacBook Camera Not Working
If you still find the MacBook camera not working, you should try force-restarting the app. To do this, you may use the command line option. Here’s how to do it.
- First, you should quit all the running applications that utilize the camera (Skype).
- Then, you should go to Launchpad and select Terminal. If not, you can directly go to Applications and Utility Directory.
- Enter the command “sudo killall VDCAssistant” without inverted commas.
- Don’t exit the terminal. Just enter the following command “sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant“.
- That’s it. Open FaceTime once again, and the camera should be working fine.
3. Connectivity Issue Between FaceTime Camera and Display
In certain cases, the FaceTime HD camera may not work properly as it is switched into an internal camera only.
The problem persists when the app cannot select the display automatically for the camera. In this case, you will have to activate the camera manually.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open the FaceTime app on the mac.
- Go to Menu and select Video. Then, go to “Facetime HD Camera (Display) to activate it.
4. Make use of the Activity Monitor App
If none of the above options have worked for the Macbook camera not working issue so far, you should look for another option.
In this case, you will have to quit the process using the Activity monitor app.
Here’s how you do it
- Quit all the apps that require the assistance of the camera.
- Open the Activity Monitor app, located under Applications > Utilities.
- Then, go to the top left section and find the Process Name option.
- Now, you should find the option labeled VDC Assistant and click on it.
- Close the process by pressing the ‘X’ icon towards the top left corner.
Do you find that the FaceTime app is crashing or doesn’t get activated on the iPhone? If yes, you will have to seek the assistance of a professional solution.
Besides, if you want to know how to delete Time Machine backups on Mac, these are just for you.
If you are an iPhone user and experience issues with its camera, you might wonder what to do. Fixing an iPhone camera is not easy if you don’t have the correct tool.
This is when you should consider using a sophisticated tool like ReiBoot iOS Repair. With the assistance of this tool, you can overcome various issues in addition to malfunctioning iPhone cameras.
Here are the Issues ReiBoot iOS Repair Can Fix
- iOS devices stuck in recovery mode loop, iPhone keeps restarting,
- iOS devices stuck in iTunes logo or iOS devices that cannot exit DFU mode
- iPhones and iPads that display the white Apple logo (known as the white screen of death)
- iOS devices that display a black screen or blue screen
- Continuously restarting iOS devices
- Frozen iPad or iPhones that doesn’t respond to any command
- iOS devices that don’t respond to the slide feature
- Apple logo loop on iOS devices, iPhone camera black, and many other errors.
Conclusion on Macbook Camera Not Working
As we believe, now you know how to address the Mac camera not working issue. You can try the advanced tool we’ve mentioned if you don’t get satisfying results with the basic options.
Apart from fixing the MacBook camera not working issue, we also explained how to recover lost data. Also, be sure to have a general idea about ReiBoot If you are an iOS user.